Wednesday 14 April 2010

Indoor Market



When I borrowed a mobility scooter the other day, I took my camera into the Indoor Market. This is one of the entrances, and that counter always makes my mouth water! Lots of different meats and cheeses, bowls of olives, and also local delights - oatcakes (nothing like Scottish oatcakes!) and parkin in November (for Bonfire Night - 5th November)




I love these baskets, and behind in the shop there are jars and jars of different jams and chutneys, plus all sorts of biscuits (cookies). Really scrumptious!





You'd be exceptionally picky if you couldn't find a bag to suit you here. It is owned by a lovely Pakistani man, and nothing is too much trouble for him, he will unhook the very last bag on a hook for you or hunt out a purse that is just the right size.




There is also a big stall selling artificial flowers - sprays, chains, whatever you want. The dog isn't real! They are definitely not allowed inside the market!





The last two photographs are from two stalls that sell bits and pieces. I have no idea what those long coloured chains are, but that stall usually sells all sorts of wools for knitting. The other stall sells childrens' clothing, but I think they have a lot of frilly petticoats hanging there, or what I call Ra-Ra skirts!

Our market is really good, but I can only get there on a scooter, as its rather far to walk from the car parking. There is a good greengrocery stall, two butchers stalls, plus asssorted others. A second-hand bookstall, an electronic place, and one that sells all the bags and bits for vacuum cleaners. A vital place to know! There is also a newsagent, and a woman who will shorten hems, and do other alterations.

When you are tired out, there is a little tea-bar!



.

12 comments:

kenju said...

Gilly, it looks like a great place to visit and a scooter is just the way to go!!

cottonreel said...

Hi, Gilly nice to know you are getting about ,cottonreel

Hollace said...

Hi, Gilly. Was that your first time on a scooter? Are they hard to manage? (I'm getting ready for the day...) Do you ride the scooter to the market from home, or take it in a van and then ride it?
Those colorful petticoats make me laugh. The girls here are wearing them over their tights (leggings) and it seems funny because I used to wear one under my circle skirts! Not so neon colored back then!
I enjoyed your market.

Diane said...

I can see you in a tu tu with a feather boa!!! And i'll say this only once Gilly "Step away from the bags!!" You seem to have a bit of a thing for them - I bet youve got a collection!! It looks like a great market - I love markets. The first stall looks great and i love haberdashery!! xx

KathyA said...

That market has everything! And I'm glad you said the dog wasn't real... I had to think twice about that!

VioletSky said...

If you couldn't find anything to buy... you could certainly find lots to photograph in a market like this one!!

sea-blue-sky & abstracts said...

It's like an Aladdin's Cave! A place where your could find whatever you need and have so much fun looking. Bye for now, Lesley

Cloudhands said...

Now that was a nice visit for this American gal to be able to follow a native into her hunting grounds. I support Diane in urging you to go easy in the bag department. When I saw that wall of purses I had a vision of you with many bags hung about the scooter finishing you journey through the market.

awareness said...

Great photos Gilly. I love markets....both the indoor and the outdoor ones.... and I LOVE tea bars.

Angela said...

that looks like a great market for meandering!

Jennyff said...

What fun, that's really put me in the mood for a rummage. I'd like a basket and a tu tu please.

Marja said...

oh great market Gilly I especially love the baskets