Tuesday 20 April 2010

The Colour Blue



I'm not sure why the colour blue is associated with feeling miserable! Personally, when I am down, its more a dark grey! But when I took the dog out this morning, the sky was a beautiful blue, white clouds racing across, and I came across so many lovely blue things. Not in the least miserable making!



The Park gardeners have planted some beds with a gorgeous deep blue hyacinth. Not the common pale blue, but a truly deep blue. Alternate beds have cream hyacinths in.



With colourful primulas between the hyacinths, including these lovely blue ones with a yellow centre.



Back at home, we have a lot of grape hyacinths, muscari along the little trough running the length of the patio. They are a zinging colour at this time of the year!



There is also a little sedum, whose "flowers" are the palest blue.



We have a big clump of lungwort, pulmonaria, down by the pond. Trying to photograph the whole doesn 't really work.....



....but a close up helps show them of!



Indoors, I love the deep blue of one of our sofa cusions....




...a a favourite little jug.



And lastly, a much-loved and much worn velvet scarf!

All very cheerful blues!

11 comments:

CorvusCorax12 said...

absolutely gorgeous blues...one of my favorite colors

Hollace said...

What a wonderful array of blues. I like grape hyacinths, too, but I don't have any growing. There is nothing like blue sky to cheer me up!
Have a good week, Gilly.

Strawberry Jam Anne said...

Oh yes I do agree Gilly - so many shades of blue and most of them pretty. Blue eyes are wonderful too. A x

KathyA said...

Interesting that 'getting the blues' means what it does -- blue is my favorite color as well.
Such beautiful photos. What a change from two months ago!!

Angela said...

I love blue too - great pictures

And we are enjoying lovely blue clear skies - no vapour trails from jumbo jets

sea-blue-sky & abstracts said...

I agree with you Gilly and have really enjoyed your lovely blue post - the flowers, the jug - wonderful. Lesley x

Friko said...

blue is not my favourite colour but being honest about it I must admit that you have chose some wonder ful blues.
Perhaps I am just not into pastels.

kenju said...

I love blues and purples; especially when they are paired with greens.

Diane said...

Blue and green combo - my favorite colours. xxxxx

Sweet Virginia Breeze said...

Beautiful pictures showing the many shades of blue and the beauty of this time of year.

Jan said...

I love the colour blue too it reminds me of the sky, the sea and heaven. I especially love lungwort, not a nice name for a very pretty plant. I used to have some heavenly blue plants- lithospernam or something like that.They are lovely too.
Jan (Aka birdsoftheair.)