Sunday 20 December 2009

Thematic Challenge - Abstract



Carmi's Photographic challenge this week is Abstract.

This is actually a photograph of the light shining through a green glass ball I have on my window sill. I found it, many, many years ago on a remote shore of a sea loch on the Isle of Skye in Scotland. It was one of our first camping trips, and we had driven across the Highlands and onto the ferry to the Isle of Skye. It was so very beautiful there, deserted shores, unfamiliar birds, and (for that bit, anyway) sunny skies.

I loved that glass ball, which was a float used by fishermen then to mark the position of their nets. I guarded it carefully for the rest of our holiday, and it has survived four house moves and still gives me pleasure as I think of that lovely, lonely shore.

I also love abstract photographs and paintings. Maybe I can feel the emotions they bring forth more easily than in a straighforward representation?

8 comments:

VioletSky said...

I loved Skye! It is such a stark, almost haunting place.

I think I agree about the abstract art bringing out more emotions - maybe that's why I often find it more difficult to get into?!

Diane said...

I love the detail of absract - without having to know what the object is. Ive never been to Skye, but i'd love to go. xx

cheshire wife said...

Very appropriate photo for the festive season!

CorvusCorax12 said...

what a lovely treasures

kenju said...

Beautiful! I once had a stain dress in that color, and I loved it.

kenju said...

Satin, I meant to say.

Glennis said...

What a great photo. I love the way it's perfect for the theme.

Only I'd like to see the ball itself, too! And I've always wanted to go to Skye - actually always wanted to go to Scotland, and never have.

KathyA said...

Beautiful! And I think that abstract art lends itself to being more provocative/evocative so I can understand why you favor it.