Tuesday 26 May 2009

Always things to do in the garden!



I've been busy this weekend, planting out begonias, gallardias, pansies and mimulus in various troughs and plants on our patio. Hard work for me, heaving bags of compost around! Mr. G. obligingly put the planted throughs where I wanted them!



At the other end of our patio is what I laughingly call my "£raised beds". Grocery store plastic containers, filled with compost and now growing, slowly, lettuces, radishes, spring onions, and very, very slowly, carrots. Also climbing french beans, which will go up the poles on the right. Thehy are cut from our hazel bush, which we cut down every three years or so.



Below the patio is a bed, which at the moment has alliums and not much else, but things are growing fast now, and we will have astrantias, daisies and alchemilla.



Through the honeysuckle arch looking down the garden from the chalet.



Looking sdown the garden from the right hand side




Our chalet (summer house). I spend a lot of time, when I can, that is, sitting in there, reading, drinking tea and just thinking!



Looking back towards the house.



And lastly, our pond, where the tadpoles are thriving, and the slugs haven't eaten the hostas yet! Its right down the end of the garden, by the gate which leads into the Park. We have a little path round it, though its a bit overgrown at the moment. The little statue we inherited with the garden, he used to hold a sundial base, but it got broken. He is weathering nicely now!

We can't compete with the gardens on other blogs! But we do our best, and enjoy the peace and the plants. There's too much lawn now for us oldies, but so far we are managing. Well, Mr. G is managing!

18 comments:

Sue said...

Looking nice as always :-)

You are managing very well.

x

kenju said...

You can TOO compete!! It all looks great, and I love the honeysuckle arch!

Anonymous said...

I love the peace of your garden - and the recycled boxes; such an economical idea. Good luck with the veg; and what splendid alliums.

Sweet Virginia Breeze said...

Your garden is lovely! I can tell you've put a lot of work into it. I've always wanted a pond as they are so relaxing. And your chalet is wonderful. Looks like the perfect place to relax.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Thank you for letting me stroll with you through your garden.
I think it is beautiful and love the images. Take Care

much2ponder said...

Gilly, how beautiful! You are doing a great job at it. I love it! Now I can see why you waited in anticipation of spring. I would spend as much time as possible out there. WOW!

Glennis said...

Gilly, your garden looks magnificent. I want to hear more about your raised beds. Looks like a good way to grow root veggies so they'll grow long and straight instead of crabbed and crooked.

Your archway....Heaven!

England and California are a long way apart, but I think if we were closer we'd be sharing cuttings across the fence!

Connie said...

I love the honeysuckle arch. How can you ever pull yourself away from that and the chalet? Very inviting!

Anonymous said...

Wow, I think your garden is stunning. I love your chalet, what a great place to get away from it all.

love, Tina x

Marja said...

Oh your garden looks lovely and cosy
I love the arch.Put the kettle on I am on my way to drink a cuppa with you in your summer house

Gilly said...

Thank you for all your kind comments! Yes, when the honeysuckle is out in July, it is lovely sitting in the chalet in the evening - the scent wafts across. Bliss!

Hollace said...

I would love to sit in your summer house. You have a beautiful and peaceful-looking backyard. Nice pictures of it, too!

theMuddledMarketPlace said...

a much loved garden

thanks for sharing it with us

Glennis said...

Gilly, I've written a post for you about mimulus at my blog, and linked to you. We call them monkeyflowers here in California!

www.doves2day.blogspot.com

Greener Pastures--A City Girl Goes Country said...

Are you kidding? Your garden is beautiful! I especially love the summer house and the arch. It could be in a magazine!

www.GreenerPastures--ACityGirlGoesCountry.blogspot.com

sojourner said...

what a beautiful garden and home you have! i am impressed with your energy - i've been away at our ranch and worked in the yard until i could not work any longer now i am paying the price with lots of aches and pains!

Rainbow dreams said...

What a beautiful garden.. I mean that. One day ours may too look that tended...it takes consistent work doesn't it..that summer house looks the prefect spot for drinking tea and thinking :)

cottonreel said...

Hello Gilly thanks for visiting .I have many containers of buttons and beads, really thought I,d find what I wanted in there.managed to in the end .