Thursday 19 August 2010

A Green Lake



For some reason, the lake in the park has become almost entirely covered with duckweed. It started at the far end, and stayed there for several weeks, but then woomph! it was nearly all over! Looking at the lake now is very much a study in green!




However, I was delighted to see the heron is back! We hadn't seen him for ages, but he was there this morning, when it was quiet. How he managed to see a fish under all that week I don't know, but he did, because I saw him catch one!




The ducks don't seem to mind the weed, and just swim through it. It does make interesting patterns, though. This was taken very much against the light, so its not one of my best!

10 comments:

Diane said...

Lovely photos as always Gilly - we camped by a green lake on holiday - i'll show you the pics later, but pop over and see where I have been. A little bird told me that you will be going there too! xx

kenju said...

I once saw a lake in Central Park, NYC, that was the same way.

cheshire wife said...

Never mind the weed, the first photo is wonderfully calm and relaxing and must include every shade of green

Jennyff said...

People spend a lot of time and money trying to get rid of duckweed but if nature can live with it maybe we should too. It does look quite dramatic in your photo.

sea-blue-sky & abstracts said...

Love these photos Gilly, especially the Heron - they're such impressive birds. Have a good weekend. x

Maria said...

It almost looks like a marsh and ducks do enjoy a marsh or too. I am so glad you share your photos. I love to stop in for a peek now and then.

theMuddledMarketPlace said...

calming and peaceful......

Greener Pastures--A City Girl Goes Country said...

Pretty!

I love the purple leaves at the top of your blog. Haven't been blogging in a while. I love color.

KathyA said...

I've seen that stuff on ponds here, too. You're right -- the birds and reptiles don't seem to mind it at all.
My goodness that heron is a healthy size!!!

Marja said...

Love the green lake Gilly and the photo of the Heron is magical