Saturday 20 March 2010

Chain saws in the Park!



Just a quick blog to show you what they have been doing in our Park! Just inside the entrance to the car park, and next to the gates leading to the formal part of the park, there used to be a beautiful beech tree. That has been cut down, half way up, and an owl now sits on top of it!

Now as chain saw sculpture goes, it is good. But I think I would rather have the tree! The Council employees told me that the tree was supposed to be diseased and had to come down. Doesn't look diseased to me, and if it was, how come they can leave all the roots in the ground?





As the owl is in the formal bit of the park (tennis courts, flower beds, bowling greens and all that) it looks OK, I suppose. But the kingfisher (you had spotted that, hadn't you?) is next to the lake, and I think very much out of place. Again, why leave half a tree if it had to come down? Its a lovely kingfisher, but not there!

Rumour has it that a frog will appear atop of another tree that has been cut down. I await the chain saw man to see whereabouts he will do his carving!

15 comments:

Sue said...

'Rumour has it that a frog will appear...' This has made me smile.

I agree with you that it would be nicer to have the trees. Alas, people are awfully reckless with trees - as you know we suffer round here with over-zealous chainsaws.

I would have been out there with a wheelbarrow, getting firewood!

VioletSky said...

I suppose if the tree were dying, the roots wouldn't save it. Usually a tree stump is just left in the ground; this at least allows for some artistic merit.

Friko said...

we've left tree stumps in the ground to rot away over many years. they become habitats for lots of creepy crawlies as they die, very slowly.
I quite like the artwork, better than take the whole tree away, I think. Anyway, it's a lot cheaper not to cut all of it down, which Councils probably find a very convincing argument.

Strawberry Jam Anne said...

The carvings are good but a tree would have been much nicer. Surely new young trees could have been planted with the money spent on carvings which could be vandalised.

Diane said...

Its better than totally felling the tree, and I am quite amazed what they can do with a chain saw!!!

KathyA said...

Amazing art -- although trees are an art in themselves!

Greener Pastures--A City Girl Goes Country said...

I hate when trees are cut down but at least they did the nice carvings!

Jeannette StG said...

My guess is that making tree sculptures was cheaper than planting a new tree? If it really is because they were dying, is a great solution to still have something artful in the park:)
Came over from another blog -good to meet ya!

kenju said...

Show us the frog when he appears, Gilly!

I rather like the sculptures in the diseased tree trunks. It is better than cutting the tree all the way back to the ground - and certainly cheaper than digging out all the roots.

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

This Ozarks farm chick thinks they probably hacked the tree below the diseased parts. It's so sad to see a tree come down, I always say it takes a lifetime to grow a tree. Somebody probably thought we have lemons here....let's make lemonade and call the woodcarver. Mention of a little frog make me smile.

God bless ya'll from the hills and hollers of the Missouri Ponderosa!!!

sea-blue-sky & abstracts said...

The wood looks suspiciously healthy to me, I would honestly rather see a stump!

Hope that the council is as zealous when it comes to replanting! Lesley x

sea-blue-sky & abstracts said...

The wood looks suspiciously healthy to me, I would honestly rather see a stump!

Hope that the council is as zealous when it comes to replanting! Lesley x

cheshire wife said...

We have one of those owls outside a house not far from us. I would rather that it remained nocturnal!

theMuddledMarketPlace said...

don't know what i think...............

Hollace said...

I hate it when people chop down longstanding trees. They took a long time to get that way! Our neighbor who was a renter chopped down a huge old evergreen because it dropped needles on his car. Then he chainsawed it into a bear. Then he got evicted for non-payment of rent and took the bear with him along with my old view. Sigh.